Author Topic: [GUIDE] Ubuntu with Remote Desktop for your L2J Server.  (Read 7415 times)

Offline jurchiks

• Blade Bat
Re: [GUIDE] Ubuntu with Remote Desktop for your L2J Server.
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2013, 11:25:16 PM »
Srsly?

Failure is when you don't know how to secure your Apache environment. Don't facepalm me when you don't know what you're talking about.

Offline KderD64

• L2Versuvio.com
  • Gray Ant
  • Awards Customer crew on duty !
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 09:02:44 AM »
Failure is when you don't know how to secure your Apache environment. Don't facepalm me when you don't know what you're talking about.

Offline Rootware

• Inner Circle
  • Orfen
  • Awards Customer crew on duty ! Searched by gold diggers, loved by Mama Tryskell. Bring good advices or reports.
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:43 AM »
1st: If you do not know than differ Ubuntu and Debian, use on the server better Windows OS!

2nd: If you do not know than differ program protection and hardware protection, use on your server OS Windows + software firewall.

3rd: If you do not understand what I'm saying, use Windows OS.

P.S. Before you start to argue will learn to understand the interlocutor.
Code: [Select]
<html><head><body>Трискел:<br>
Трискел не говорит с дураками, которые не знают свою профессию!
</body></html>

Offline SweeTs

• ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
  • Fanatic Fan
  • Core
  • You're never too old to learn something stupid.
  • Awards Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free, you are a pirate ! Searched by gold diggers, loved by Mama Tryskell. Bring good advices or reports. Crazy Banana.
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 12:22:22 PM »
I choose number 3 :troll:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 12:24:37 PM by SweeTs* »

Offline shilen

• Customer
  • Honey Bear
  • Awards Customer crew on duty !

Offline Tommy

• Outer Circle
  • Oel Mahum Witch Doctor
  • Eaten by reality QQ
  • Awards Captain of the Day Nom nom nom nom !
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 12:06:00 AM »

This.
Available only via FB

Offline Asmodeus

• Inner Circle
  • Mirror
  • Zaken
  • Awards Searched by gold diggers, loved by Mama Tryskell. Half russian, half greek.
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 03:41:08 PM »
This.

Securing apache means "DO NOT USE APACHE", prefer using nginx or litespeed.
"Scissors are fine, please nerf Paper" -Rock

Offline Tommy

• Outer Circle
  • Oel Mahum Witch Doctor
  • Eaten by reality QQ
  • Awards Captain of the Day Nom nom nom nom !
Available only via FB

Offline UnAfraid

• Elder Prairie Keltir
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 09:42:55 AM »
I made a lot of friends in various domains, especially in hosting area and they told me for gaming the best is Debian  because of security and apache settings for mysql.
Every hosting company that be called a 'hosting company' doesn't uses apache at all.
First of all apache is serious resource killer.
Either lighthttpd or nginx
Regarding the OS there is an expensive distribution of linux especially designed for hosting.

For an l2j server all kinds of linux distribution will have exactly the same effect for the people that doesn't knows linux that much.

I've used Slackware, Gentoo, CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian, and much more to host an l2j server.
It runs good on all of them.
But personally i'd prefer Gentoo since its really fucking stable and its designed amazingly (But you need to learn it because its kinda different then others)

Srsly? You can configure it yourself... If you can't, then that's a whole another problem.
He's totally right btw.

Offline TheCableGuy

• Dungeon Skeleton Archer
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 10:26:23 PM »
small tip:

Since ubuntu-desktop is buggy (kicks you out of tightvnc if you stress it too much) i suggest using

apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

This is a more stable and lighter gui for your ubuntu. It uses 50% less ram than the ubuntu-desktop version.

If you need help with Linux pm me.

Offline Rootware

• Inner Circle
  • Orfen
  • Awards Customer crew on duty ! Searched by gold diggers, loved by Mama Tryskell. Bring good advices or reports.
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2014, 11:21:46 AM »
Dedicated server with GUI, it's as the woman with a penis.  :serious:
</body></html>

Offline TheCableGuy

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2014, 02:58:06 AM »
Dedicated server with GUI, it's as the woman with a penis.  :serious:
Instead of starting an argument with you with a sarcastic reply, im just going to point to you some of the pros of having a gui on your dedicated server.

1st everything will be easier to manage, especially database related maintenance.
2nd you spend less time writting down commands and more time doing whats really importand for your server.
3d you dont need phpmyadmin to manager your db anymore since you can use navicat or whatever db manager you like, this means more security since theres no way for someone to be able to access your db via the web.
4th if you have a big server (6gb ram+) theres virtually 0 impact in your servers perfomance. Hell once you shutdown your tightvnc the gui turns off and whatever resources it was using goes back to whatever else it needs it.

I hope you can give me some facts on why its bad to have a gui for your dedicated server.

Offline Rootware

• Inner Circle
  • Orfen
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2014, 04:26:21 PM »
Instead of starting an argument with you with a sarcastic reply, im just going to point to you some of the pros of having a gui on your dedicated server.

1st everything will be easier to manage, especially database related maintenance.
2nd you spend less time writting down commands and more time doing whats really importand for your server.
3d you dont need phpmyadmin to manager your db anymore since you can use navicat or whatever db manager you like, this means more security since theres no way for someone to be able to access your db via the web.
4th if you have a big server (6gb ram+) theres virtually 0 impact in your servers perfomance. Hell once you shutdown your tightvnc the gui turns off and whatever resources it was using goes back to whatever else it needs it.

I hope you can give me some facts on why its bad to have a gui for your dedicated server.

No such tasks that require, as necessity, the GUI. Do not tell anyone else that you are using GUI on a dedicated server, otherwise all will be laughed at you.

Using GUI in the *unix systems, you lose the main their advantages.

If you don't understood me, it's your problem.
</body></html>

Offline TheCableGuy

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2014, 11:00:34 PM »
No such tasks that require, as necessity, the GUI. Do not tell anyone else that you are using GUI on a dedicated server, otherwise all will be laughed at you.

Using GUI in the *unix systems, you lose the main their advantages.

If you don't understood me, it's your problem.
Please enlighten me, what are those main advantages?

Also check my 4th point again.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:26:00 PM by TheCableGuy »

Offline Manny

• Imp Elder
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2014, 04:57:52 PM »
I think public server doesn't need GUI. Let me explain. What actions do you need to do?

• change files - it can be done via repositary (for example GIT)
  • start, restart, stop - it can be done via command line or via script or web script (for example PHP)
  • database access - via VPN through any common database application (for example Navicat, SQLyog)
  • firewall system settings - via command line (propably one-time setup)

In my opinion remote desktop with Ubuntu is quite unstable. Better solution is to use Windows Server 2008 R2. There is also problem with RAM consumption, you could use it to increase maximum players slot cap instead.
L2 DreamLand server developer.